Sunday, February 3, 2008

Super Sunday


The big game. The day millions have longed for since Payton Manning and the Colts finally made their mark in NFL history. Today the other Manning is in the big show, a reality that only New Yorkers are proud of. The spread seems weighted heavily for Belichick's team but the newsrooms are doing their best to keep the probability alive. Today is a day that will go down in history. The Patriots can step into the realm of legends, or the Giants can prove that anything can happen. Make no mistake, each man to step onto that field today in Phoenix is prepared to give his very best. This opportunity may not present itself again. This may very well be Brady's only shot at a perfect season. Michael Strahan may not have another season to give. At the end of the day someone will be walking off the field a champion. Will he be remembered more for what he took off the field, or what he left on the field?
Great plays will amaze us. Mistakes will cost dearly. Hard work will inspire. In the end, only the final score will define a champion.

As I think about greatness, my legacy, the mark I leave on life and my children I cannot help but wonder what I am contributing to the big game. My humanity reminds me that this is my only shot. Only time will tell what I took with me off the field. Perhaps that has something to do with what I left on it.

No comments: